Safeguarding the security and privacy of protected health information and compliance with electronic data interchange standards, the Health Information Technician is responsible for processing and maintaining medical records onsite. Core areas of focus include safely managing information shared by patients, doctors, and healthcare specialists. This role requires attention to detail, organization, and an aptitude in technology and IT.
- Obtain and manage patient forms, medical histories, and test results from healthcare professionals.
- Survey the information received, ensuring accuracy and correctness.
- Evaluate health records and insurance claims.
- Certify compliance with confidentiality laws and regulations.
- Supervise and update data for clinical databases and registries.
- Use classification software to allocate correct clinical codes for data examination and insurance compensation.
- Implement an effective, efficient electronic health record system.
- Bachelor’s degree in health information technology or related field
- 2+ yrs. of experience working in medical records
- Superior research, coding, and analytical skills
- In-depth knowledge of computers and information systems as it relates to medical records
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, both written and verbal