With an eye for design and creative flair, floral designers arrange flowers (dried, live and artificial) and corresponding greenery and accessories to make aesthetically pleasing decorative displays. Additional responsibilities include advising customers on flower selection and containment, and other visual considerations. With their vast knowledge of plants, greenery, and flowers, floral designers cultivate, create, and execute artistic designs for various arrangements and floral bouquets.
- Purchase flowers, greenery, and accessories from suppliers, retailers, and wholesalers to ensure sufficient supply to meet the arrangements and respective clients’ needs.
- Establish the style and type of arrangement requested, the occasion, and delivery details (the date, time, and location).
- Recommend flowers, plants, blooms, and greenery for each arrangement following the customer’s budget and desired outcome.
- Design, create and build floral displays that capture the particular sentiment, style, and vision of the client.
- Support tasks that include but are not limited to answering telephones, taking orders, meetings/consultations, and wrapping arrangements.
- High school diploma or GED
- Previous floral design experience
- Expertise regarding different flower types, arrangement styles, and flower conditioning
- Strong organizational skills
- Exceptionally creative and visually inclined; artistic
- Superb communication skills – both written and verbal
- Detail-oriented and deadline-driven
- Certification from the American Institute of Floral Designers or other equivalents a plus
- Professional, well-spoken, and articulate