We seek a creative, professional, and detail-oriented Sommelier to join our busy catering team! The ideal candidate will have a wealth of experience working within the food and wine industry and have an excellent knowledge of various types of wine from all over the world. In addition, you will be adept at making recommendations on food and wine pairing and offering suggestions to diners! The role's focus will be to identify and buy new or old wines to add to our wine list. Working with the catering and kitchen teams, you will make suggestions and educated recommendations to ensure the wine list has a broad range of choices and complements the menu.
- Organize and participate in wine tasting sessions for clients.
- Ensure that the right wine is served at the right temperature.
- Use the proper glassware to serve the specific type of wine.
- Comply with all health and safety requirements in the kitchen and dining area.
- Conduct checks on the IDs of guests to ensure they are of the proper legal drinking age.
- Assist with the creation and development of wine lists.
- Showcase various wines to clients and make recommendations to purchase.
- Ensure sufficient stock of wine, monitor the inventory, and order more wine when required.
- Collaborate with external vendors and winemakers to negotiate prices and contracts for supply.
- Ensure the wine cellar is kept clean, safe, and obstacle-free.
- Ensure that opened wine bottles are stored correctly and in line with hygiene practices.
- Degree in Hospitality Management or related field
- Current Food Hygiene badge issued by the relevant state/city or council
- Excellent understanding of wine and its differences
- Able to confidently make great educated recommendations
- Excellent customer-facing skills
- Outstanding communication abilities, both written and verbal
- Effective negotiation and influencing abilities
- A good understanding of the wine-making process
- Ability to be flexible with work timings